Ready to find the perfect college degree?
www.bestdegreeprograms.org is an advertising-supported site. Featured or trusted partner programs and all school search, finder, or match results are for schools that compensate us. This compensation does not influence our school rankings, resource guides, or other editorially-independent information published on this site.
The subjects you study in an online bachelor’s in special education degree program are varied. Typical programs include studies in types of disabilities and strategies of teaching students who have these conditions. This is according to the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). These courses often fall into categories of:
- general teacher preparation
- special education
Special education teachers are educators first, and specialists in teaching children with disabilities second, according to Global Teacher Prize. It’s essential that they develop general skills in teaching and classroom management. They also must have the specialized skills needed to work effectively in a special education classroom.
Many of the subjects you study in an online bachelor’s in special education degree program are related to developing a strong background in education in general. These courses include:
- educational philosophy
- educational psychology
- classroom management for teachers
- early childhood curriculum
- instruction planning and assessments at the elementary school level
- child development
- learning theory
- methods of teaching elementary mathematics for elementary teacher candidates
- social justice for educators
- embracing diversity
Courses in Disabilities and Developmental Disorders
Children with special needs don’t necessarily have the same needs. Different disabilities and developmental disorders have different effects on learning and behavior. For this reason, the subjects you study in an online bachelor’s in special education program often include courses such as:
- children with exceptionalities
- learning and behavior problems
- typical and atypical language development
Some online bachelor’s in special education programs also include in-depth coursework on specific conditions, such as introduction to autism spectrum disorders.
Special Education Courses
Other subjects you study in an online bachelor’s in special education degree combine teacher preparation with a focus on helping children with disabilities and disorders. Introduction to special education is often one of the first foundation courses you’ll take in an undergraduate special education program.
Some of the best online bachelor’s in special education degree programs in the nation also include classes in subjects such as:
- teaching strategies in special education
- developing curriculum for the mentally disabled/emotionally disabled student
- behavioral analysis and management
- literacy facilitation for special education and special programs
- differentiating instruction
- theories and methods for sheltered instruction
- observing special needs in children
- special education assessment
With some of these degree programs, you can take classes focusing on:
- trends in special education
- laws in special education
- substance abuse services and intervention
Often, special education teachers take coursework that helps them focus on the foundational skills that students in special education classes need additional help attaining. These classes include foundational literary skills and phonics and laying the foundation of reading.
In a special education classroom, teachers need to be able to:
- understand the challenges children face
- manage behavioral issues
- educate students with disabilities effectively
The subjects you study in an online bachelor’s in special education degree program will help you achieve these goals.
- 30 Best Online Bachelor’s in Special Education Degree Programs
- Should Aspiring Special Education Teachers Pursue a Specialized or General Education Degree?
- What is the Difference Between a Master’s in Education and a Master’s in Teaching?
- What Type of Education Degree Program is Right for Me?
- Do I Still Need to Do Student Teaching if I Earn My Bachelor’s in Special Education Degree Online?