From the first days of kindergarten to the final days as a senior in high school, students have been working and studying to graduate and move on to the next stage of their lives. For some students, the next phase may be getting a job, others may go into the military and others will go on to further their education in college. Whether it is a small college, large college, public college, or private college, one thing is certain. It is expensive and the student will be on a limited budget for spending. Because of the expense involved, being aware of financial responsibilities should be something your teenager learns about before going to college.
While in college, major expenses such as tuition, room and board, and dining arrangements are generally taken care of ahead of time. But students will be faced with needing spending money on groceries, clothes, and other external uses. There are many ways that students can be prepared financially.
Financial management for students begins when they are still at home. Parents should help encourage their children to get small jobs to earn money and learn responsibility, start saving money for when they go off to school, begin to budget their money for sensible usage and generally be responsible for managing their money.
It’s never too late to learn how to be a financially responsible teenager. To help learn how we have gathered several helpful resources. Please look over this information and use it in your daily lives and start becoming a more financially responsible student. Good luck!
- Kid’s Savings Calculator
- United States Mint: Financial Games for Kids
- Financial Entertainment
- JumpStart Financial Smarts for Students
- 20 Things Kids Need to Know to Live Financially Smart Lives
- Family Finances
- Finance in the Classroom
- What is Debt?
- U.S. Treasury Kid’s Zone
- The History of Money
- Money Games for Kids
- Learning Financial Literacy
- Top Finance Programs for Students
- Young People’s Guide to Financial Independence (PDF)
- Understanding Taxes: Student Site
- Saving and Checking Guide
- Youth and Money
- Kid’s Savings Clubs
- Managing Money: Spending and Saving
- Money Lessons for Life
- Start Smart: Money Management for Teens
- Money Talks
- Financial Literacy for Teens and Their Parents
- Family Finance: Kids and Money
- Money Savvy Kids
- Allowances and Money
- The Value of an Allowance
- Teaching Kids About Money
- Youth and Personal Finance
- Financial Checklists to Prepare for College
- The Best College Programs for Any Budget
- Understanding Taxes for Teenagers and Students