What’s the Best Degree Path for Becoming an Insurance Claims Adjuster?

Image of wooden blocks with words for our FAQ on What’s the Best Degree Path for Becoming an Insurance Claims Adjuster

When you decide to major in the humanities, you will have a wide variety of career paths to consider. The job of insurance claims adjuster is one of the top paying careers for humanities majors. It brings in a median annual salary of $58,100 for experienced professionals. In the past, a high school diploma was enough to land an entry-level insurance claims adjuster position. However, employers are increasingly seeking candidates who have a college degree in a relevant field of study. Choosing to go to college can help you increase your job marketability in a tough economy. It can also provide career advancement opportunities later on.

Choosing an Educational Path

Once you decide to get an education, the next step is deciding what field of study is the best choice for you. There are many different majors in the humanities for you to consider. The humanities are areas of study that focus on human culture, such as:

  • philosophy
  • literature
  • languages
  • law
  • history
  • cultural studies
  • communication

A major in the humanities will teach you important skills that translate to many industries and jobs, like:

  • how to analyze information
  • think and write critically
  • make decisions

If you decide that majoring in the humanities isn’t for you, you can still prepare for a career as an insurance claims adjuster. Your choice of a major may depend on what kind of claims adjuster you would like to become. These include:

  •  auto accidents
  • workers’ compensation claims
  • industrial accidents
  • companies’ financial loss claims
  • medical claims

According to the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), valuable paths of study include:

  • Legal backgrounds (like pre-law)
  • medical backgrounds (like pre-medical studies)
  • architecture
  • engineering
  • accounting
  • business

You may also choose to earn a certificate in auto body repair from a vocational school so that you have a background to help you evaluate vehicle repair costs.

Experience and Licensure

As an aspiring insurance claims adjuster, you should expect to do on-the-job training under the guidance of experienced claims adjusters. Some insurance companies have weeks- or even months-long training programs for new adjusters. As a novice claims adjuster, you will handle small-value, simple claims at first. Then you’ll move on to more complicated and high-value claims as you gain experience.

Depending on the state in which you intend to work, you may need to earn a license. This usually requires passing a written examination. Other states license companies rather than individual adjusters, according to the BLS. If you live in such a state, you just have to find a position working for an insurance carrier that holds a license.

Insurance claims adjusters can earn good salaries. You can choose a major that provides a wide range of skills or one that prepares you for handling a specific type of insurance claims. In both you can develop a strong background that will help you succeed in this satisfying career.

Related Resources:

Brenda Rufener

Julie McCaulley

Carrie Sealey-Morris